Some stupid questions can be hilarious at times, especially when such questions are asked by friends. In other situations, they can be very annoying and just plain stupid, making you wonder if the person asking the question is in their right mind. What’s more? When life gets so serious and boring, you can lighten the mood and add a bit of laughter by asking some really stupid questions.
When with your friends and you are hoping to spark a fun conversation with a new friend, you can also be creative by introducing stupid questions when you deliberately want to liven up a place and get them laughing. Nevertheless, whichever category you may fall, be it the lively one, or the annoying one, we’ve got lots of stupid questions ideas for you.
Is There Such Thing As A Stupid or Dumb Question?
Oftentimes, one of the most common things heard in school, workplace, and conference room is that there is no such thing as a dumb question and that the only questions regarded as dumb or stupid are the ones that were never asked. However, that’s not entirely true because there are so many people out there who are bluntly asking dumb or stupid questions, regardless of race or color.
Some stupid people say stupid things, and yes, there is such thing as a stupid question. But the irony of this is that nobody gets to be both the judge and the jury in situations where these questions are asked because what may sound stupid to one person could be even more fascinating to the other.
Certainly, someone is going to hear that question and they are inevitably going to have to react to it. While some may decide whether it’s engaging or interesting or not, others would also make the stupid or not call. Whatever be the case, if you are the person receiving the question, also have in mind that the essence of asking questions is to learn from it and not necessarily to just sound stupid in the end, however, also note that seemingly dumb questions could be asked deliberately by someone just for the purpose of testing your take on the subject of discussion. Let’s take a look at a few seemingly dumb questions you can chose to someone whenever you want to poke at people.
Stupid Philosophical Questions to Ask Someone
- If an ambulance is on its way to save someone, and it knocks down someone, does it stop to help them?
- If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from morons?
- Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?
- Why is it that when you’re driving and looking for an address, you turn down the volume on the radio?
- If the professor on Giligan’s Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can’t he fix a hole in a boat?
- Why do you have to “put your two cents in”. but it’s only a “penny for your thoughts”? Where’s that extra penny going to?
- If you boarded a cab and the driver drove backward, does that mean he owes you money?
- Why do people say they “slept like a baby” when babies often wake up like every two hours?
- You can be overwhelmed and underwhelmed, but why can’t you be simply whelmed?
- If an orange is orange, why isn’t a lime called a green or a lemon called a yellow?
- If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?
- Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?
- If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables. What is baby oil made from?
- Why is the word for “a fear of long words,” hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, so long?
- Why do we have to call it “shipping,” even when it gets delivered by plane or truck?
- If money doesn’t grow on trees then why do banks have branches?
- If someone owns a piece of land, how deep does their ownership go? Do they own it all the way to the center of the earth?
- Why is an electrical socket called an outlet when you plug things into it? Shouldn’t it be called an inlet?
- If it is friendly fire, why don’t they use blankets?
- Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?
- How come you press harder on a remote control when you know the battery is dead?
Funny Stupid Questions to Ask
22. What is the name given to male ballerinas?
23. Can blind people see their dreams?
24. Why are blueberries not blue in color?
25. Why is it hard for women to put on mascara with their mouth closed?
26. Why does Donald Duck wear a towel when he comes out of the shower when he doesn’t usually wear any pants?
27. Why do they call it taking a dump? Shouldn’t it be leaving a dump?
28. Why isn’t 11 pronounced “onety-one”?
29. Is it wrong to enjoy the smell of your own gas?
30. If you mated a bulldog and a shitsu, would it be called bullshit?
31. Why is it called “beauty sleep, when you wake up looking like a troll?
32. Why do you have to click Start before you can stop Windows 98?
33. Do the minutes on the movie boxes include the previews, credits, and special features, or just the movie itself?
34. Why is it that the sun lightens our hair, but ends up darkening our skin?
35. How do people get discombobulated? Have you ever seen someone who was combobulated?
36. Why is it that black guys don’t usually get white tattoos?
37. Why do they call it “getting your dog fixed” if afterward, it doesn’t work anymore?
38. Why is Greenland called Greenland, when it is white and covered with ice?
39. Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark? If yes, where did he keep them?
40. If we are clean before using bath towels, why do we wash them?
Why Do People Ask Stupid Questions?
There are a couple of reasons why people ask stupid or dumb questions, which includes gaining knowledge, as well as helping you understand things you never did and remove erroneous assumptions, and sometimes just to sound funny and make people laugh. More so, asking dumb questions will sometimes ensure that everyone is on the same page.
Stupid questions can also help you to learn and uncover the complexity of things that initially seem to be obvious. Imagine being in a meeting to discuss your company’s plan of going digital, and there are arguments of advantages and disadvantages of joining the digital world, and suddenly, one of your colleagues asked the question, “why are we going digital anyway.”
To some people, the question may sound dumb or stupid because in our world today every business needs to go digital. However, answering that question would help to uncover and align the goals the company is aiming to achieve by making its operations digital. That being said, asking stupid questions can also help you acquire new knowledge. When you ask stupid questions, you may seem stupid at first but in the end, you’d learn something new. Similarly, if you shy away from asking the question, others might not realize your ignorance, but you will continue being ignorant.
Below are smart ways to ask questions without sounding dumb or stupid:
How Do You Respond When Someone Asks a Dumb Question?
Hearing dumb questions can be really frustrating, and if someone asks a stupid or dumb question, they are not going to feel good when others make a joke out of it or when they are being mocked. However, you can try to get them back on the right track but avoid saying anything that could be seen as sarcasm. They might feel embarrassed finding out they have missed something so simple, so it is pertinent to not make them feel worse about it.
Just like the saying goes, “ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.” But that’s not always the case. If it’s something you can answer, just give the answer and move on, and if it’s untrue, also state it and move on, unless you want to argue about the matter. More so, with friends, it can always be laughed at and joked about, but in serious gatherings, that won’t be the case.
In a serious gathering, conference, or interview, it is advisable to ask to rephrase/elaborate the question or request to discuss the issue later. Don’t try to make the person that asked the dumb question feel embarrassed and show your intelligence.