The challenges of living in the 21st century are more stressful than many ever imagined. One day, you are all energetic, motivated, and ready to face the world with its many obstacles; the next day, you are downcast, feeling negative, frustrated, and wouldn’t even want to get out of bed. At this point, you need to realize that you can’t just give up, and self-motivation works well in such situations. You can look at yourself in the mirror and speak powerful words of motivation and encouragement, then get up and get moving. Morning affirmations can go to a great extent to change your life, but you need to understand what they are and how to use them.
What Are Morning Affirmations?
Affirmations are positive statements that you should say to yourself to reshape your views on life and help you feel motivated enough to go after your dreams. Because these words of motivation are mostly said in the morning (people are encouraged to say them before starting the day), the name Morning Affirmations has become widespread.
In essence, morning affirmations are positive statements you should say to yourself every morning to challenge negative and unhelpful thoughts.
Studies Confirm That Morning Affirmations Work
Morning affirmations have been found to motivate, encourage and also boost self-esteem. So, if you frequently find yourself getting caught up in negative thoughts, these positive affirmations can help combat the subconscious patterns, replacing them with more adaptive narratives.
There are several studies and research that prove that positive affirmations actually work. A particular study carried out by Christopher Cascio (Doctoral candidate) and Associate Professor Emily Falk published in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience revealed that self-affirmation activates well-known reward centers in the brain. Cascio’s study further revealed that “affirmation takes advantage of our reward circuits, which can be quite powerful.” Another study along this line further revealed that “these circuits can do things like dampen pain and help us maintain balance in the face of threats.”
Before Cascio’s study, there have been other empirical studies and theories like the self-affirmation theory, which reveals that we can maintain our sense of self-integrity by telling ourselves (or affirming) what we believe in positive ways. Cohen & Sherman, 2014, added to this by stating that self-integrity relates to our global self-efficacy—our perceived ability to control moral outcomes and respond flexibly when our self-concept is threatened.
The Extent Morning Affirmations Can Change Your Life
Morning affirmations restructure and change your thought pattern. When you practice positive affirmations over a period of time, scientists say you make new and stronger neural connections and chemical pathways, something they call Neuroplasticity.
It also helps you shift your focus away from your perceived failures, limitations, or inadequacies, directing it towards your strengths (those you already have and those you desire to develop). Morning affirmations change your perception of yourself, people, and the world around you. It is, however, important to state here that to see positive results and actually know that your affirmation is working, you must practice it regularly.
How To Know If Your Affirmations Are Working
One of the frequently asked questions about morning affirmations is how to know it is actually working. There may be several ways to know that your daily practices have not in vain, but one that stands out is to check how it has impacted your thought pattern, built your self-esteem, confidence and helped you see yourself in a positive light.
45 Powerful Morning Affirmations You May Want To Start With
- I am optimistic because today is a new day.
- I am grateful for another day to make a positive contribution.
- I am smart, powerful, confident, and capable.
- I am in charge of my life today.
- I am in charge of how I feel, and I choose to feel happy.
- I have all I need to make today a great day.
- I choose to focus on the positive.
- I am always open-minded and eager to explore new avenues to success.
- I am valuable and will make powerful contributions to the world today.
- I expect success in all aspects of my life.
- Today will be a great and productive day.
- Today I attract exactly what I need for my growth and ultimate happiness.
- I am becoming more successful every day.
- I work in an environment of calm and peace.
- Today I will be kinder, smarter, and wiser.
- I see fear as the fuel for success.
- I am a powerful creator. I create the life I want and enjoy it.
- I learn from my mistakes, and I am better for them.
- I quickly find solutions to challenges, and I move past them.
- I have a confident personality.
- I am focused and engaged on the task at hand.
- I am courageous. I am willing to act and face my fears.
- I live in the present with confidence for the future.
- I work well under pressure and always feel motivated.
- I am proud of myself.
- I am self-reliant.
- Today I will be full of ideas.
- I see the good in others and every situation.
- I have integrity, I am reliable, and I do what I say.
- I trust my inner wisdom to guide me.
- Every day I increase in confidence, self-esteem, and inner wisdom.
- I am attracting great opportunities.
- I am becoming a better version of myself every day.
- I am a unique being with amazing abilities.
- I gladly accept every challenge that life throws at me today.
- I am content and free from pain.
- I am trusting the process even when I don’t understand it.
- I have the courage to create positive change in my life.
- Letting go creates space for opportunities to come.
- My body is beautiful at this moment and in its best size.
- I can let go of old, negative beliefs that have stood in the way of my success.
- I am consciously becoming a more loving person.
- I release the past and live in the present moment.
- I stay focused on my vision and pursue my daily work with passion.
- I am unstoppable.
NB: You may want to do your morning affirmations alongside a meditation session. Here is a guided video to help you get started
Tips To Help You Get Started
Positive affirmations work, at least psychologists, as well as several searches, have proved that, but we all know that nothing good actually comes easy. As good as the concept of speaking positive words to yourself sounds, it actually appears bizarre to some, and many are really finding it difficult to develop this life-changing habit. To guide you on this journey, we gathered some tips.
Write Down Your Morning Affirmations and Place Them in Strategic Places
This is the most important step if you actually want to see results within days or weeks of embarking on this journey. You wouldn’t want to begin the affirmation process and be confused about what to say next. So, get a notepad, jotter, your tab, phone, whatever is convenient for you, and write out all of your affirmations; that way, it will be easy for you to say them once you open your eyes the next morning.
You may also need to change or make little adjustments to the affirmations from time to time. Especially if you feel you have built confidence in an area and need to work/build self-confidence in other areas or aspects of your life.
Begin In The Morning
They are called morning affirmations because these words are usually said in the morning, but that is not to suggest that you can only make affirmations in the mornings. They can be made any other time of the day. However, psychologists usually advise they are said in the mornings because early mornings are usually calm. You have taken enough rest, and your mind is conditioned to take all you will be saying.
End Your Day With Them
Saying your affirmations last thing before you go to bed also has a way of soaking in while you are asleep, and you wake up feeling quite energetic and ready to take on the day.
Make Your Affirmations Whenever You Feel Down Or Negative
Whatever you consistently listen to or expose yourself to, you gradually become. So, you can’t leave the issue of your self-esteem and confidence to chance if you must succeed. Thus, whenever you feel down or negative, it doesn’t matter what time of the day (morning, noon, evening, or night) you have to speak positively to yourself; you may not even leave where you are to do this; it may just be as simple as just talking to yourself in your mind.
Reciting morning affirmations is an excellent way to lift your spirit and boost your morale whenever those negative thoughts come rushing into your mind. Sometimes, you may feel like giving up, but a simple “I choose to focus on the positive” or “I can do this” maybe all you need to hang in there and pull through.