Funeral thank you notes etiquette dictates sending thank you notes for significant gestures after a funeral. This can be done by sending flowers, bringing food or just sending a note.
It may not be much, but it will go a long way in letting people know how much you appreciate them for making out time to attend the funeral.
More so, this is an activity that will distract you from your grief even if for a little time.
Funeral thank you notes all follow the same basic structure:
Salutation: Dear [person’s name]. If you are particularly close to the person to whom the card is being sent, you could open with: “My dearest [person’s name].”
Expression of gratitude: Express gratitude and thanks on behalf of you and your family for his or her help or thoughtfulness. A sentence or two will suffice, but be specific about what you are grateful for (for example, a beautiful bouquet of sympathy flowers).
Personalization: People also appreciate a personal touch whereby you mention anything special he or she did that touched your heart or his or her special relationship with the deceased. The personal touch shows that you put thought into writing the funeral thank you card.
Closing: End the note with “Yours Truly” or “Love” (depending on the closeness of your relationship to the person), and sign the card on behalf of your family (e.g. With Much Love, the Smith Family) or yourself (e.g. Yours Truly, Mrs Smith).
Seeing as we have seen the basic structure lets look at some funeral thank you notes.
Funeral Thank You Notes
It was very kind of you to attend John’s funeral service. I know it must have been difficult for you to travel such a long way after just having had your operation.
However, you being present meant a lot to me and my family. You were one of John’s dearest friends and I know he treasured your friendship.
Thank you and kindest regards.
Thank you so much for coming to Peter’s funeral. It meant so much to us having close friends of our family present.
It was so thoughtful of you to help with the buffet after the service and thank you for the pastries you brought. Your kindness and sympathy during this difficult time is so much appreciated.
3. Dear Mr and Mrs Jones,
It meant a great deal to me that you came to Marie’s funeral. It was a difficult day and your presence was of great comfort to me.
Your participation in the service was a great help and your words about Marie, so touching.
4. Dearest Ann,
Thank you for serving as a pallbearer at Jane’s funeral. I am truly grateful to you and your family for your love and support in this difficult time.
5. My Dear Jared,
Thank you for attending Jim’s funeral and also for your generous donation. Supporting the cancer association means so much to our family and it was Jim’s wish that donations were to be made instead of flowers.
As you know, Jim always supported the charity and it would have meant a lot to him to know that so many contributions were made.
6. Dear Joanne,
Thank you for the beautiful flower arrangement you sent to my father’s funeral. As you know, daffodils were his favorite flowers and it’s lovely that you remembered.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
7. Dear ____________,
Your presence at _________’s funeral service really meant a lot to me. He always talked fondly and respectfully about his supervisor and co-workers, and he would have appreciated the fact that you were all there for his family. Thank you for your hugs and kind words of support.
8. Dear ____________,
Thank you for extending so much love and support to our family. We greatly appreciated the warm thoughts expressed in your sympathy card, as well as the lovely plant. Your kindness meant a great deal to us.
9. My Dear ____________,
Bringing beautiful food platters to our home after the service was an incredibly generous gesture. We actually had more guests arrive than we had expected, so having that extra food on hand was such a wonderful thing. Your thoughtfulness means more to us than words can fully express.
10. Dearest ____________,
Thank you for helping us during this very difficult time. Your kindness and concern for our family means a great deal to us. We appreciate all the love and support you have extended to us during this period of sadness. You have always been a generous and beloved friend of our family.
(YOUR FAMILY’S NAME HERE)
11. Irene Dear,
Your sympathy card was so sweet and very much appreciated. You are such a thoughtful friend. Thank you for being there for me at a time when I needed it most. I will always remember your kindness.
12. Dear ____________,
Thank you so much for assisting me with making the funeral arrangements for ________. Your clear and level-headed thinking and planning at a time when I felt so scattered was an incredible help. The love, support and kindness meant a great deal to me.
13. Dearest ____________,
When ___________ passed I was just totally devastated and overwhelmed with grief. I felt like the rug had just been pulled out from under me. Having you there by my side to help me figure out what needed to be done, and to assist me with making phone calls to arrange the service and reception was an incredibly generous act of true friendship. Because of your help and comforting advice, on the day of the funeral, I felt more mentally and emotionally prepared to greet a large number of guests that came to pay their respects.
I am sincerely thankful for your thoughtfulness.
14. Dear ____________,
Thank you for the lovely flower arrangement. You have always been such great friends, and having you there at the prayer service meant a lot us to.
15. Dear ________,
Your presence at my father’s memorial service was a great comfort to me and my family. The fond memories that you shared of my father during the service were incredibly moving and thoughtful. The love and support that you’ve shown us during this very difficult time will always be remembered. Thank you for your sympathy and kindness.
16. Dear ________,
You have been a pillar of strength for my grandmother, my parents, me, and my entire family. We greatly appreciated that you were there for Grandpa at the hospital during his illness, and for surrounding our family with your love during his funeral. Thank you so much for dedicating a memorial bench and plaque for my grandfather at his favorite park. I’m sure he is in Heaven smiling down at you this very moment! You were his nearest and dearest friend, and he cherished the lifetime of memories the two of you shared.
With love and warmth,
17. Dear ________,
Your comforting presence at my mother’s memorial service was appreciated more than words can fully express. My grief and sorrow run deep, and to have someone there for me that truly understood the impact of my loss was a very beautiful thing. It made my heart lighter to be surrounded by such warm and unconditional love. My mother was blessed to have your friendship. Thank you for everything.
18. Dear ________,
Our entire family cannot thank you enough for your generosity. The large and stunning flower arrangement you sent to the church for my grandmother’s funeral service was incredibly thoughtful. Thank you for being such a wonderful support system for all of us. It’s at difficult times like these that we stop to realize how fragile and beautiful the gift of life truly is. We are so grateful that you are an important part of our lives.
19. Dear ________,
Your love and prayers mean the world to me and my family. Thank you so much for attending my aunt’s funeral. We also enjoyed the time you spent reminiscing with us about years of wonderful memories. The gorgeous flower arrangement you sent to the church was incredibly thoughtful. It’s good friends like you that have kept our spirits up and our hearts filled with love. We deeply appreciate your sweet generosity.
20. Dear ________,
I feel incredibly blessed to be surrounded by so many friends and family during this very sad and stressful time. Your love and prayers have helped soothe my sorrow. My grandfather was such a sweet, gentle soul. In my heart I know that he is now in a much better place, and that his love continues to surround me every day. Thank you for all the love and support you have given me. I truly appreciate it.
With love and warmth…
21. Dear Matthew,
Thank you for the beautiful flower arrangement after Peter’s passing. I know you are grieving too, but know that he always thought of you as one of his closest friends.
22. Dear Sally and John,
The wreath you sent to the funeral home was stunning.My family and I appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration during this difficult time.
23. Dear Anthony,
Thank you so much for the generous donation to the American Heart Association in Zeke’s name. As you know, he suffered from heart disease for years before his passing, and this was the perfect gift in his memory.
24. Dear Betty and Sam,
My family appreciates your donation to the SPCA in memory of our beloved Oscar. As you know, he was always an animal lover and fostered many dogs and cats through the years. I’m hoping to continue bringing in animals temporarily until we can find them “forever” homes.
Your friend and neighbor,
25. Dear Alan,
Thank you so much for bringing the family-sized platters of cold cuts, vegetables, and fruit after Kevin’s funeral Your generosity and thoughtfulness in bringing finger foods for guests really helped my family get through the most difficult time. It was nice to not have to worry about feeding all of those people when they stopped by the house over the next several days.
Sad but grateful,
26. Dear Reverend Jones,
Thank you for your spiritual counsel and services at the funeral of my mother. Especially at times like these, your guidance is so appreciated.
27. Dear Frank,
Thank you for serving as a pallbearer. You are a true friend. Your contributions to the service were a tremendous help. I appreciate your kindness.
28. Dear Mr and Mrs Chan,
Itwas really nice to see you at my mother’s funeral. I really appreciate the effort you made to travel such a distance. I was grateful to hear your memories, and your support made a difference to me and my family.
29. Dear Mrs Lopez,
Thank you for the beautiful pink arrangement of flowers. Roses were Mom’s favorite and they served as a reminder of the special friend you were to her/ how much you and the others meant to her.
30. Dear Penny and Joe,
1want to thank you for the wonderful meal you delivered to our home after the funeral. It was delicious and such a thoughtful gesture. My mother really valued your friendship. Your kindness is greatly appreciated.
31. Dear Richard,
I appreciate your stepping in and covering my work during this difficult time. Thank you for your support. It will make it easier when I return to the office next week.
32. Dear Jason,
It was so thoughtful of you to remember us at this time. Thank you for taking the time to share your memories of Mom with us. Your words were such a comfort. Friends like you have helped us get through this difficult time.
33. Dear George,
Thank you for sending your words of sympathy. It was kind of you to show you care.
34. Our family wishes to convey our sincerest appreciation for your prayers and support during (name) passing. We are blessed to have friends like you and are thankful for all you have done.
35. Sending you our sincere gratitude for the flowers you sent. It truly served as a special reminder of your friendship with (name).
Funeral Thank You Notes For Flowers
36. Thank you for extending so much love and support to our family. We greatly appreciated the warm thoughts expressed in your sympathy card, as well as the lovely plant. Your kindness meant a great deal to us.
37. Thank you for your heartfelt condolence. Your words are not only a comfort but a source of strength for my family and me in this difficult time.
38. Thank you for your thoughtful and kind card of condolence. It was a comfort to the entire family.
39. Thank you for your thoughtfulness in helping me with the food and guests at the services. I am so grateful for your helping hand in my time of need. Thanks again.
40. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Your generosity and support during this difficult time are greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your touching letter. I really enjoyed hearing from you. The story you shared about (name) made me smile.
41. Thank you so much for all the support you have offered to my family and me during this difficult time. I know it couldn’t have been easy and I really appreciate your friendship.
42. Thank you so much for attending my (name) funeral and for the beautiful arrangement you sent. Our family really appreciates your support.
43. Thank you very much for attending (name) funeral service. Being his friend meant a lot to him, we know this because he often spoke of you. During this difficult time, your kindness has meant a lot to our family.
44. The family would like to take this opportunity to express our sincerest appreciation for the thoughtfulness presented to us and love we have been given during our time of bereavement.
45. The service you performed offered inspiration and comfort to all who were present. We thank you greatly for your help and support during this difficult time.
46. There comes a time in life that your friends support is extremely necessary. This was one of those times and you were there for me every second. Thank you, my friend.
47. This is a very difficult time for all of us. We are saddened by the passing of (name). Your presence helped to lighten our burden. I was grateful to enjoy your company and hear your lovely memories.
48. We greatly appreciate your very generous donation in (name) honor. We thank you so much for your kindness.
49. We really appreciate your acts of kindness and helping hands for our family during (name) funeral service. It was a comfort to us to know these details were in your hands.
50. We wish to express our sincere appreciation for all your love and support during our time of loss. Thank you all for the acts of kindness shown to our family.
51. We wish to express our sincere appreciation for your words of comfort during (name)’s memorial service. We are encouraged and blessed to know that he/she will be in the company of our Lord.
52. We would like to thank you for speaking at (name)’s memorial service. Thank you for spending the time to share your wonderful memories with his friends and family. The words you spoke were very comforting to all who attended.
53. We would like to give our thanks for the beautiful photos and flowers. We greatly appreciate your kindness, support, and generosity in this difficult time.
54. We would like to offer our thanks for the wonderful service you performed for us. Your sympathetic words were very soothing and comforting and brought hope to all who were present. We truly appreciate your services.
55. You said you would always be there for our family and you were. Thank you for that. I love you.
56. Your card was beautiful. Thank you for being there for me.
57. Your sympathy card was so sweet and very much appreciated.
58. You are such a thoughtful friend. Thank you for being there for me at a time when I needed it most. I will always remember your kindness.
59. Allow me to express my most heartfelt appreciation for the fantastic food you’ve prepared for us. When in need, you were there to help and are truly a great friend and neighbor.
60. How truly grateful we are to have wonderful friends like you. Your love and support for our family have been very much appreciated during this time of loss.
61. I can hardly express how grateful I am for your attendance at (name)’s funeral. It was so good of you to take the time to be with me and my family.
62. It is difficult to find words to express how thankful we are for your expression of love to our family during this truly difficult time. We are grateful for the friendship that we share. Warm regards.
63. It is hard to put into words the thanks we would like to give for all the help, thoughtfulness and sympathy you have given us during this difficult time. We are very grateful for your support and friendship.
64. It was very nice of you to think of me in this time of sadness. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
65. Just a quick note to show our appreciation for the beautiful flowers you’ve sent. We are grateful for your thoughtfulness while we are going through this difficult time.
66. My family and I would like to thank you for your support and generous donation to (name) fund. You were a great friend to her over the years and I know she loved you very much.
67. Thank you for your kindness in remembering _________ with your donation. Your thoughtfulness and generosity are much appreciated by the entire family.
68. We are so appreciative of your generosity. Your donation in honor of ___________ will help fund the grave marker. Thank you so very much.
69. It was so kind of you to make a donation to the family in honor of _____________. We are pleased to pay it forward by sending a gift to the ______ charity, which was dear to _________’s heart. Thank you for your generosity and kindness.
70. Your donation in honor of __________’s memory touched us deeply. Thank you for your generosity and thoughtfulness, and may God bless you.
71. Your presence at the funeral was greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your wishes and kind gestures.
There you have it. Now sending that funeral thank you notes won’t be so difficult. Just take your pick and mourn in peace.