People are always going to be in need of words of encouragement and it is one way to tell those around you that you care. Knowing the exact words to say to your friend, co-workers, or family members, especially when they need a bit of a pick-me-up is a skill that can be honed and will always be useful to you. More so, in some cases, you might be the one who needs words to uplift yourself.
Whether you need words of encouragement for someone or to give yourself a pat on the back, we’ve got you covered in this piece.
How Do You Encourage Yourself?
There will definitely be times when you will be in need of encouragement, maybe after a rough day or it has been a while since anyone told you you looked good? While there may not be others around you to do this, the mantle falls on you to encourage yourself sometimes and there are several ways to get your spirits up.
1. Take stock of your achievements, no matter how little. You can even go-ahead to jot them down somewhere you can see it often.
2. Have faith in your abilities and believe that anything you set your mind on can be achieved. The simple phrase, ‘I can’ may sound cliché but when you say it intentionally, it will definitely give you the boost you need to move on.
3. Be more open to learning new things, a clear growth trajectory always includes the learning process.
4. Keep your eye on the goals you have set, be mindful of your hopes and the thing you want to achieve. Let this encourage you out of giving up.
5. For every milestone you get to in the pursuit of your goals take time to bask in the glory of it.
An important tip to always note about self-encouragement is that when you learn to encourage yourself, your drive to achieve your goals will be less dependent on what others say to you or do not say. This will make you very independent and resilient to survive any storm.
Guidelines For Writing Encouraging Words
Written words are one of the major ways we communicate in the world today, either via texts or emails, we are constantly writing words. This is also one of the ways we can quickly offer encouragement but in order to always convey the right tone, we might need to write our words of encouragement in specific ways to get the true meaning across.
Some quick tips to guide you in choosing the perfect words of encouragement include the following:
1. Always use upbeat words as this would help assuage scary thoughts the recipient of your message might have about things in their life.
Upbeat sentences like the following should be used:
- You got this!
- Good luck today! I know you will win!
- I know this won’t be easy, but I also know you are a fighter
- Time to go beat the hell out of cancer!
- Keep on going the end will be glorious!
2. Use words that remind the person they are always on your mind. These can be sent in short-thinking-of-you messages and samples of such include:
- You are always in my thoughts.
- Know how many hours I think of you? 24 hours a day!
- Keeping you close in my heart and thoughts.
- You are always in my prayers. May your day be amazing!
- I am only a phone call away.
3. Ensure that the tone as you write demonstrates a genuine appreciation of the recipient.
4. Choose words that are very mild and gentle.
5. Getting one’s spirit up is a process, use words that convey patience and hope.
What Other Ways Can You Encourage Someone?
Words are great and all but there are other ways to take your encouragement a step further by doing some of the following:
- Offer to help with whatever your friend is going through.
- Give a hug or smile to provide comfort.
- Inform them of how they have helped you in the past.
- Learn their love languages and act accordingly.
- Send them a gift or something you know that they will like
Friends and Family Aside, How Do You Encourage A Stranger?
Ever been in a situation where you were more comfortable getting solace from a stranger? This happens sometimes and in some cases, you might be the stranger offering words of encouragement. Here is what you should do when a stranger confides in you and obviously needs encouragement.
- Listen attentively as they confide in you.
- Acknowledge the problem they are having.
- Do not say that you can relate, this does not help the stranger.
- Offer kind words.
- Only give advice if the stranger asks for advice.
Words You Can Offer During A Crisis
Someone around you has been tossed into a critical situation and they feel like there is no hope? You can offer any of these words to encourage them.
- Your spirit is stronger than 10,000 horses. You will pull through.
- You have always been resilient and brave. Giving up is not one of your traits.
- Be courageous. I have seen many depressions in business. Always, America has emerged from these stronger and more prosperous. Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith! Go forward. – Thomas Edison.
- Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent – Ray Kroc.
- The end will unfold the beauty of your labor, so keep on working until you create your masterpiece.
- Mistakes show that you are moving forward, don’t be afraid to make them, just learn the lessons and move on.
- Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny. – C.S. Lewis.
- Sometimes by losing a battle, you will find a new way to win the war – Donald Trump.
- No matter how fierce a storm might be, it won’t last forever. Hang in there.
- When things seem to be going turpsy-turvy, take time to pause, cry if you may but don’t forget to laugh your way through.
When Students Need Encouragement, Use These Words
At different points in your life, you are bound to meet people who are in school or engaged in a form of scholarship, encouragement should not be far from such people. Many times so many people just need to hear words of encouragement to push them through their academic pursuits. Some words of encouragement you can offer students include the following:
- I am very impressed with all the hard work you have invested in your academics. You are on the path to greatness.
- Success is a poor teacher. We learn the most about ourselves when we fail, so don’t be afraid of failing. Failing is part of the process of success. You cannot have success without failure – Rich Dad.
- Keep working hard, the great work you are doing will surely pay off!
- Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm —Winston Churchill.
- Life is a succession of lessons that must be lived to be understood – Helen Keller.
- The path to success may not be an easy one both with diligence and hard work, you will overcome any obstacle.
- A result below your expectation is not the end of the road. Winners never give up, they keep aiming for victory.
- Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure – George Edward Woodberry.
- A failure is just a resting place. It is an opportunity to begin again more intelligently – Henry Ford.
- The enthusiasm and hard work you show in your studies are commendable!
How You Can Encourage Your Friends
It does not matter what your friend is going through or if they are having a bad day, the right words can always spike their energy. Most times a true test of friendship is defined by those who stick around through the trying times of life. Some words of encouragement to offer your friends at such times are outlined below:
- What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise —Oscar Wilde.
- Don’t be defined by your struggles, your identity is in the successful future you are building.
- You are a rare gem and a very amazing person whom I admire a lot.
- Most people would have given up at times like this but you did not. I admire your strength and focus.
- I appreciate the fact that you are not just my friend but also a very industrious person. You will definitely come out of this strong.
- I am grateful to have a friend like you who does not bend to failure. Your strength and resilience are admirable.
- When a task is super tough, know that the prize will be worth it in the end. So keep pushing, victory is near!
- If there is only one person who can get this job done perfectly, it’s you! Don’t fret, just do your thing!
- I am here not just for the good times but also for the hard times. Just call me anytime.
- You are always in my thoughts and today I made a special wish for you to have a great day.
Encouraging Words You Can Say To A Woman
As there are encouraging words for specific situations, so are there encouraging words specific for women who may be feeling down because of a number of reasons. These words are likely to encourage the women around you.
- Who you are and what you can accomplish cannot be affected by someone’s wrong perception about your worth.
- Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday —Dale Carnegie.
- Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement – Henry Ford.
- There is a hero if you deep within your heart and you don’t have to be afraid of who you are – Mariah Carey.
- You don’t have to carry this burden alone, I am here to share in both your pains and joys. Let me help you.
- Your perfect blend of humility and success is applaudable.
- Be the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment, own it – Oprah Winfrey.
- Never be ashamed! There are some who will hold it against you, but they are not worth bothering about – J. K. Rowling.
- Work hard, have fun, and make history – Jeff Bezos.
- Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember you can achieve” – Mary Kay Ash.
Working Professionals Also Need To Be Encouraged
The work environment is one that can be likened to a roller coaster where you are bound to experience ups and downs. Do you need to offer encouraging words to those who are working professionals? Here some words of encouragement that will do the trick:
- A dedicated man may be described as obsessed which is a great compliment. Hard work pays!
- Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go” —Christian Larson.
- When you innovate, you’ve got to be prepared for people telling you that you are nuts – Larry Ellison.
- You don’t have to be the biggest to beat the biggest – Henry Ross Perot.
- I have had all the disadvantages required for success” – Larry Ellison.
- When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it – Henry Ford.
- I find my greatest pleasure and so my reward in the work that preceded what the world calls success – Thomas Edison.
- Patience is the greatest business asset. Wait for the right time to make your moves – J. Paul Getty.
- Anything is possible if you’ve got enough nerve – J. K. Rowling.
- Regardless of who you are or what you have been, you can be what you want to be – W. Clement Stone.