There has been a lot of questions as to what the term P.S. means. Many have tried to coin their own meaning from it, others have tried to take a guess as to what they believe should be the closest meaning, leading to confusion and uncertainty as to what the correct answer is.
However, there shouldn’t be much confusion over this subject because of the Internet, thank goodness. The Internet has made a lot of things easier and one of the major way it does this is through the service it renders which is the service of putting information right on our fingertips. The only way you happen to be privy to the write-up on the meaning of P.S is also as a result of the power of the Internet.
Now, P.S is actually an abbreviation which is a short form of a number of thing or words. Though this article focuses mainly on the P.S which is used in writing. Other forms and usage of P.S exists, such as; Playstation, PhotoShop, Psalms etc.
What Does P.S mean
In formal writing, P.S or PS is academically accepted to mean “Post Script,” which happens to be derived from the Latin word “Post Scriptum.” It is used to connote or make room for extra information when writing a letter, book or any publication as the case may be. To further expatiate, if you have written a letter and you finished it up by putting your signature on it, when you discover that you omitted a very important information in the body of the letter, you can continue the letter to add up the important information after the signature by introducing P.S.
For example: P.S the goods have been paid for by “Mr. Goods” so no need to make a second payment.
The usage of P..S is not restricted to just letters but it cuts across any publication at all and this was heavily used in the early times where editing was harder than it is in recent times. The only ways to add up an extra information would be by starting all over or simply and painfully skipping such important information.
In recent times however, editing has become relatively easy because you make updates to a write-up while it’s still a soft copy, as many times as needed before printing. Even after printing and you find that you have made some mistakes or forgot to add some necessary information, you can always edit the work as long as you have the soft copy of the work stored in the a device, be it a personal computer, laptop, hard drive or flash drive or any other device with saving capabilities.
More over, people have argued that P.S is not necessary any longer because with the advent of social media and other electronic mediums of messaging, comes the ease of editing, thus why use P.S when you can simply edit the work before sending say an email or an On-line message?
Nevertheless, with this facts in mind, the usage of P.S is now one which is more of a trend and a main stream forte which is done for the fun of it. It’s usage now seems more classy and sophisticated and not really for necessity.
- Don’t forget to come along with the SUV. PS. you know I love you right.
- All employees are expected to be at the National Summit on Tuesday. PS. leave your cars at home in order to avoid the issues of parking space.
Other Connotations/ Usage of PS
- Polystyrene: Polystyrene is a synthetic aromatic polymer made from the monomer styrene.
- PhotoShop: Adobe Photoshop is a raster graphics editor developed and published by Adobe Systems for Mac OS and Windows. Photoshop has become a verb that is sometimes used to refer to images edited by Adobe Photoshop or by any other image manipulating program.
- Play Station (Sony PlayStation gaming consoles, PlayStation 2, PS3, PS4 etc.)
- Picosecond (a time measurement unit). One Picosecond (PS) is equal to one trillionth (1/1,000,000,000,000) of a second.
- Power Supply.
- Pash to language.
- Previous Section.
- Public Service.
- Pen Spinning: Pen spinning is a form of object manipulation.
- Post Signature.
- Psalms (the third section of the Hebrew Bible).
- Positronium (in Chemistry).
- Police Station.
- Pulmonic Stenosis: Pulmonic Stenosis is also known as pulmonary stenosis.
- Private School.