Santa’s reindeer names are unique but do you know them? If you are looking for some Christmas magic, you can’t go wrong with Santa Clause and his dashing reindeer. The poet Clement C. Moore revealed the names of eight reindeer by using secretive means in his poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas.”
After this was discovered, people began to make songs about them, and Santa started using their names every time he took off in the sled. The standard number of Santa’s reindeer are known to be eight(at least, the most famous ones), however, there is a ninth and even a tenth reindeer.
Santa’s reindeer names and personalities are quite fascinating, so if you are curious to learn more about these magnificent reindeer such as Rudolph, Vixen, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Blitzen, Cupid, Donner, Dasher and Olive, you are in the right spot so read on.
Santa’s Reindeer Names
1. Rudolph(Santa’s Guiding Light): Santa’s famous ninth reindeer joined the herd a few years after the original eight. At first, he was terribly self-conscious.Because of his odd red nose, he suffered from low self-esteem. But all this changed when Santa recognized his rosy bulb as a beacon of light and thus ushered him into his new role as leader of the herd. He was able to lead Santa safely around the world, on the snowiest of nights because his nose glowed. The other reindeer also agreed that Rudolph just had to stay with the herd. Now, when Rudolph isn’t helping on the sleigh ride, playing hide-and-seek with the other reindeer is his past time. He has the advantage, though as he can light up dark places effortlessly and find the other reindeer every time.
2. Vixen: We can’t help but love a strong and confident woman. One of the two and more famous female reindeer on the team is Vixen (hello, glass ceiling!). One thing she does well is to continuously defy the expectations of her misogynistic male colleagues. Pretty as ever she is the reindeer who was leading the team of reindeer trainees when it was rescued by Cupid? That was Vixen.In her training class, she was the top reindeer. She was renowned for her beauty and for her graceful flying that has become even more graceful through the years of practice. One skill of hers that has never been equaled is her triple loop with a single hoof landing.
Moreover, the heroic rescue made Vixen fall head over hooves for Cupid, she joined the Sleigh Team, and got hitched to Cupid. Till date, she still flies, still pretty, and she still thinks Cupid is the bravest reindeer she has ever met. She and Cupid still hold hooves, even after hundreds of years together. It’s interesting to know that Cupid still blushes whenever Vixen gives him the eye. Isn’t that sweet?!
3. Dancer: Though he may not be the bravest, strongest, smartest, or a natural born leader, Dancer is true to himself. And you assume he is also a pretty good dancer, right. Since dancing is his passion, he knows the tango, salsa, meringue, and even has ventured into contra- and square-dancing. Do-si-do-ing can be a little difficult, but he likes it.
4.Prancer: He is really kind, sweet and sure of himself. It’s no wonder why Prancer was the only other reindeer to inspire a spin-off movie of his own (called Prancer, look it up on IMDB), because he is such a sensitive soul.
Only very few people notice this, but Prancer and Dancer are actually twins. Though they aren’t identical, there is a strong family resemblance of which little stage makeup and costuming, can make them look identical.
5. Comet: As his name implies, Comet is out of this world. He is always smiling and quite handsome too. He happens to
be very easy-going and loves to play ball with all the young fawns. Most children of the world seem to look up to him. This is one trait Santa loves about Comet. Before Christmas, Santa would head out with Comet to check his list and see how children all around the world are doing. When they see Comet, they flock to pet him because he’s quite adorable and so laid-back.The attention the children shower upon him is what he looks forward to. He also inspires little children to be on their best behavior.
More Of Santa’s Reindeer
6. Blitzen: Fast as Lightning, his name originates from Germany. He’s very fast, playful, and like a bolt when it comes to helping Santa deliver his Christmas goodies. He has the ability to infuse an electric charge into the other reindeer to make them zap through the sky, fast as lightning whenever Santa yells “faster!” He’s also best reindeer-buds with Donner, often humming duets to themselves while flying high in the skies.
7. Cupid: Such an affectionate reindeer, he has Christmas reins decorated with red and green little heart-shaped bells. His motto is “Spread the Love.” Most often, he carries mistletoes and mysteriously places them all around peoples’ entryways at Christmas time. That way, people don’t forget to hug and kiss during the season. Other reindeer tend to roll their eyes when he begins singing “Joy to the World” for the thousandth time. He also showers people with red hearts when making appearances on Valentine’s day,
8. Donner: This party boy’s name comes from “thunder” in German language and this is for good reason. When entering a room he always gets noticed because he’s got a deep booming baritone voice. Singing those low notes are an absolute joy for him. His joyous renditions of “Santa Baby” makes all the reindeerettes swoon.“Santa Claus is Coming to Town” and “Here Comes Santa Claus” always receive high marks and rowdy applause from his fellow reindeer. Together with Blitzen, they can really belt out some dynamic duets, that’s why he likes hanging out with him.
9. Dasher: The reindeer from Los Angeles who gave up his illustrious film career to help pull Santa’s sleigh is so dapper. But don’t let that fool you into believing that Dasher’s life is motivated by self-sacrifice because pulling Santa’s sleigh has made Dasher even more famous than he previously was. He can be seen either tanning his hide on the beach or making films with Venison Studios – a movie company that he owns and operates all by himself, during his off time. Dasher is notorious for only showing up at the North Pole by private jet a few hours before Santa’s take off and this get the other reindeer vexed. Nevertheless, Dasher is the best flying reindeer in the world, and that’s why Santa made him Captain of the reindeer team. Santa would have given him the boot (or hoof) a long time ago if not for his skills.
10. Olive: The second lady in the team is not just another reindeer, she is the tenth reindeer to join Santa’s herd. Though she had a rough start, she picked up in the end. You may recall the line from Rudolph’s song, “…all of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names…” She did, in fact, laugh at Rudolph with his big red nose, but it was only because she thought Rudolph was an amazing asset to Santa’s team, and she really wanted to be a part of it, so she started out by mocking Rudolph. She later realized that it wasn’t good. Besides, everyone knows that when you tease your friends, it’s because you really like them. She shyly apologized to Rudolph, and they have been best friends ever since.
In the end, I bet you didn’t know Santa had this many awesome reindeer. So the next time you want to bask in the euphoria of Christmas or just tell a jolly good Christmas story, don’t forget to mention these magical fliers with the coolest reindeer names (Rudolph, Vixen, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Blitzen, Cupid, Donner, Dasher and Olive). Cheers!