Vince Lombardi was an American football player, coach, and an executive in the National Football League. He was renowned as a strong leader and an intense speaker. With his several famous quotes, he instilled respect in each member of his team and held a high standard for self-discipline.
His football team, Green Bay Packers never recorded a season with a losing record under his management. He finished his coaching career with a winning percentage of 74 – the second-best in NFL.
Vince Lombardi is described as one of the greatest coaches who helped make football more than just a game and we believe his famous quotes have a lot to do with that.
Vince Lombardi Leadership Quotes
1. It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.
2. Perfection is unattainable, but if we chase perfection, we catch excellence.
3. Football is like life – It requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, dedication and respect for authority.
4. The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.
5. People who work together will win, be it against complex football defenses or the problem of modern society.
6. Confidence is contagious so is lack of confidence.
7. A leader is someone who demonstrates what’s possible.
8. No leader, however great, can long continue unless he wins battles. The battle decides all.
9. Coaches who can outline plays on a blackboard are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their players and motivate.
10. Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.
11. Leadership is not just one quality, but rather a blend of many qualities; and while no one individual possesses all of the needed talents that go into leadership, each man can develop a combination to make him a leader.
Vince Lombardi Quotes On Perfection
12. The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. Work is the key to success and hard work can help you accomplish anything.
13. Winning is not a sometime thing: it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while; you don’t do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
14. Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But we will be judged by only one thing – the result.
15. The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavors.
16. The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
17. Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
18. If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed by what you can accomplish.
19. The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.
20. The good Lord gave you a body that can achieve most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.
21. The greatest form of accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.
22. “I’ve never known a man worth his salt who, in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn’t appreciate the grind, the discipline.
23. I derived my strength from daily mass and communion.
24. Mental toughness is Spartanism, with all its qualities of self-denial, sacrifice, dedication, fearlessness, and love.
Vince Lombardi Quotes On Winning
25. Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
26. Alright mister, let me tell you that winning means you’re willing to go longer, work harder and give more than anyone else.
27. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
28. The man who wins is the man who thinks he can.
29. Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.
30. A man can be as great as he wants.
31. Everyone has a will to win but very few have the will to prepare to win.
32. We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.
33. If winning is not everything, why do they keep score?
34. I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.
35. To be successful in life demands that a man make a personal commitment to excellence and to victory, even though the ultimate victory can never be completely won. Yet that victory might be pursued and wooed with every fiber of our body, with every bit of our might and all our effort. And each week, there is a new encounter; each day, there is a new challenge.
36. Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure, and the temporary failures.
37. Success demands singleness of purpose.
38. Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character.
39. Before I can embrace freedom, I should be aware of what duties I have.
40. Live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted the first time as wrongly as you are about to act now!
Vince Lombardi was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1969 and died on September 3, 1970, at the age of 57.